5 Steps to Make the Impossible, PossibleOct 05, 2021
(Part 1 of the Multi-unit Franchising Conference)
I recently attended the Multi-unit Franchising Conference in Las Vegas, and as you can imagine, I gathered an amazing amount of information. So, I decided to divide all the knowledge into a series of entries to share everything that I learned and reflected on.
On this blog, I’ll talk about the keynote, which was given by Ben Nemtin, a Canadian best-selling author, and producer of the documentary The Buried Life. He talked about a very relevant topic for all of us entrepreneurs: how to go from impossible to possible.
Within the next weeks, I’ll be sharing the rest of the sessions, and trust me, you don’t want to miss them! Subscribe to our newsletter at the bottom of this post to get a notification on when the rest of the information is published.
Seeking Work-life Balance? Rather Aim at Work-life Harmony
I’m sure that one of your goals as a business owner is to have is to work-life balance, because you work very hard every day, and even harder in the last months because of the crisis. But Ben mentioned something that really resonated with me: it’s really not about having a work-life balance, it’s more about work-life harmony.
The reality is that we have to work a lot, but that doesn't mean that we leave behind the things that are most important to us. We need to find a way to have harmony so that we can get the job done but also take care of the things that matter to us.
According to a study, Ben says, what most people regret at the end of their lives is the things that they did not do. And so, what he proposes is to make more of an effort and do those things that we wish, instead of postponing them for next week, next month or next year.
To take action, he recommends is to write down a list of the things you want to do or experience before you die. The so-called bucket list. It may involve material stuff you want to have, emotions you want to feel, spiritual accomplishments, trips, or adventures. But you have to make sure it includes things that will make your life amazing along with the work that you do for your business.
This list will be your guide so that, throughout the years, you work on your dreams so that, in the end, you can accomplish that work-life harmony in your life.
5 Steps to Complete your List
When Ben made his list, he was in his early 20s. He invited three friends to gather 100 dreams to accomplish before they died. By the day he was giving that lecture, last August, they had already crossed over 96 of them, and he’s not even 40 years old!
To help us successfully cross off our list too, he shared 5 steps to make the impossible, possible:
- Write it down. Get a piece of paper and write down want to be able to do throughout your lifetime. The length and craziness factor are up to you.
- Share that list. With as many people as you can: your family, friends, acquaintances, colleagues. He mentioned that it’s amazing how when you share this list, people are willing to help you make your dreams come true.
- Be unstoppable about it. Once you determine what your life goals are, do whatever it takes to make that happen. Many of those things might not even take a lot of money to do, and if they do, you can always find ways to invest in your dreams.
That's how you obtain that work-life harmony. Because you're working hard in your business to make things happen, but you are just as determined and unstoppable with the things that you want to accomplish in your life.
- Include moonshots. Let yourself go a little and include those really crazy things that might happen, even though they seem impossible. Ben, for example, added “Play basketball with the president of the United States” to his list. And guess what? Thanks to his determination and action, eventually, he was able to make that come true.
- Help others accomplish their dreams. When you give back, you'd be surprised how either the person you helped, or somebody else, or the universe will help you accomplish your dreams. This is the last step in the process, because if you do this, then you are able to go beyond what you thought was possible.
I don’t know about you, but Ben really inspired me to spend some time in my everyday life to make my dreams come true. We really need to take that time so that we have no regrets at the end of our days.
This lecture was a great reminder of the things that matter. If one of the things on your list is to have a prosperous business, The American Franchise Academy is here to help you! We provide business owners with the necessary tools and knowledge to become successful in their fields.
Don’t miss our next blog, where I’ll share the insights and lessons given by several multi-unit and multi-brand franchisees.
- Have you written down your own list of dreams?
- Have you shared your goals, hopes, and aspirations with your family and friends or do they only “live” in your mind?
- If you made a bucket list for your business, what would you put on?
- Are you making everything you can to make your personal and business dreams come true?